To establish rules, procedures and best practices for the use of social media websites and social media resources for Seymour Public Library District. Social Media refers to community created content sites such as blogs, website, forums, wikis, social networks (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and other content sharing sites. It includes:
- Material created by the Seymour Public Library District and maintained by library staff.
- Material created by library staff on sites hosted and created by the library.
- Material created on other social media sites when acting as a library employee.
- The Library Director is the managing authority. All social media accounts are created only with the permission of the Library Director or designee. Similarly, changing the name, passwords, avatar, profile pictures and other settings to the social media accounts must be approved by the Library Director or designee.
- All content is subject to being edited or deleted by the Library Director or designee.
- If possible, each social media page should be linked to Seymour Public Library District’s official website.
- All social media sites and content shall be monitored and updated as time allows by approved library staff. Daily monitoring of social media sites is expected in order to preserve the professionalism and integrity of the sites.
When posting material and comments on social media, Seymour Public Library District staff will:
- Conduct themselves with professionalism and integrity as an online representative of Seymour Public Library District.
- Comment, Like, and Share pages and posts from member library and other community organizations.
- Post from reliable sources and conduct proper research prior to posting.
- Not represent any posting or statement as official policy unless it has been explicitly approved by the Library Director or designee.
- Observe and abide by all copyright, trademark, and service mark restrictions in posting materials.
- Not make statements about patrons or post, transmit or otherwise disseminate confidential information.
- Not conduct personal business or activities on library social media accounts.
- Staff will not spend an excessive amount of time on social media resources. This will be monitored by the Library Director or direct supervisor.
Appropriate Content for Staff to Post:
- Notices of upcoming meetings, programs, or events.
- Information about system services, trends or technologies.
- Promotion and reposts from credible related library affiliates.
- Press releases.
- Job postings.
- Notices of program cancellations or service disruptions.
- Training and educational opportunities open to the public.
- Photos from events.
- All other content must be approved by the Library Director or designee.
- Public users should have no expectation of privacy in posting on Seymour Public Library District sponsored social media sites.
- Seymour Public Library District social media resources may be considered public records.
- By choosing to comment or post on Seymour Public Library District’s social media sites, public users agree to give Seymour Public Library District permission to use the content of any posting without compensation or liability on part of Seymour Public Library District.
- Seymour Public Library District reserves the right to delete posts
that are of the following nature:
- Users may not post comments, tags and images that impinge on
another’s privacy or that may be considered objectionable or
inflammatory. Violations include, but are not limited to:
- Off-topic and/or disruptive posts.
- Commercial promotions or spam.
- Duplicated posts from the same individual.
- Threatening language and personal attacks.
- Private, personal information published without consent.
- Obscene or libelous content.
- Copyright infringement/plagiarized material.
- Political advocacy.
- Posts that violate laws or library policies.
- Repeat offenders will be removed from Seymour Public Library District social media resources.
- Users may not post comments, tags and images that impinge on another’s privacy or that may be considered objectionable or inflammatory. Violations include, but are not limited to:
Photos and Videos
Since Seymour Public Library District is a public building, attendees at Seymour Public Library District sponsored programs do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Photographs/video may be taken during any event. These photographs and videos may be posted on library maintained social media accounts or included in press releases.
An announcement will be made at each event that staff will be taking photos/video: “Programs, events, and classes may be photographed or videoed for promotional purposes. Please notify Seymour Public Library staff if you prefer not to be photographed.”
Library staff and users may report violations of this policy to the Library Director or designee.
Any user who feels they have been unfairly banned from Seymour Public Library District’s social media resources may file an appeal in writing with the library board. Appeals will be reviewed at the next regular meeting of the board provided the appeal has been received seven days prior to the meeting.
Disclaimer: Seymour Public Library District is not responsible or liable for the content of postings by third parties on any Seymour Public Library District sponsored social media site. Postings do not reflect the opinions or positions of Seymour Public Library District, its employees or its board of trustees.
Approved April 24, 2018